Early yesterday morning, we got reports from some of our users that they were experiencing issues with the AddThis menu over SSL. We immediately found that the problem was on our end, caused by a misconfiguration that had propagated throughout our CDN. This misconfiguration did not affect our standard HTTP version of AddThis.
By mid-afternoon yesterday, we thought we had resolved the issue but continued to get reports of problems in certain geographic areas.
We decided the best course of action was to accelerate the migration of our secure code to Akamai, which is by far the BEST CDN in the business. We had planned on doing this next week for all of AddThis but because of the issues yesterday, opted to move a lot faster for our secure code.
As of this morning, it looks like everything went smoothly with the migration to the new CDN and that this has resolved the outage. You should no longer be seeing any issues. All reports from customers thus far have been positive.
With the capabilities and immense infrastructure provided to us by our new CDN, we don’t foresee having a similar problem like this any time in the future. Secure AddThis users also should see a pretty significant boost in performance.
We sincerely apologize for this problem. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. You can comment on this blog, drop a note on the main forum thread for this issue, or e-mail me personally. – firstname.lastname@example.org