Vienna, VA, – April 29, 2014 — AddThis today announced its first quarter 2014 analysis of trending content, social sharing and online engagement trends. “The AddThis Quarterly Trending Content Report: 1Q2014,” is based on an analysis of more than 100 million content sharing and consumer engagement points across desktop and mobile devices from January 1-March 31, 2014.
The report provides insight into consumers’ social sharing behavior including data on peak sharing times, the top social networks used for sharing and engaging with content, and the most viral content. Additionally, the company has analyzed interactions across its network by categories including entertainment, sports, and politics and the most shared content, peak sharing times, and most engaged states within those categories.
Top Trending Topics, Sharing Methods and Most Shared Content
The top three trending topics for the quarter were, in rank order, Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, the Golden Globe Awards and the Sochi Olympics.
The most popular methods for sharing content were Facebook, representing 26 percent of all social sharing, followed by address bar sharing, which is cutting and pasting of URLs, representing 21 percent, Facebook Like at 15 percent and Twitter at 11 percent.
The company also looked beyond the major headlines to identify the content on the open Web that triggered the most sharing and engagement in the United States. The following content is among the top shared articles, images and videos of the quarter:
- Article: Kim Jong Un’s Executed Uncle Eaten Alive by 120 Hungry Dogs: Report by NBC World News.
- Image: This Employee Quits Her Job in the Worst Possible Way But How Her Boss Responds Is Way Worse shared from SlipTalk.
- Video: Two Brothers Sing a Christian Song That’ll Send Chills Up Your Spine, shared from GodVine.
Analyzing social sharing and content engagement within the categories of entertainment, sports, and politics, AddThis reports the following.
- The most shared entertainment content of the quarter was a tweet from Courtney Love in defense of her Theory On Missing Malaysian Flight MH370, which was covered by PerezHilton.com.
- The peak-sharing hour for sharing and engaging with entertainment related content was 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. EST
- The top three methods for sharing entertainment related content were, in rank order, Facebook with 36 percent, Twitter with 26 percent, and Google+ with 14 percent.
- Normalized for population differences, the three most engaged states for entertainment content were, in rank order, California, New York and Texas.
- The most shared sports article was NHL Won’t Commit to Olympics Beyond Sochi Games from ABC News.
- The peak hour for sharing and engaging with sports related content was from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. EST
- The top three methods for sharing and engaging with sports related content were, in rank order, Facebook with 36 percent, followed by printing at 25 percent, and Twitter at 22 percent.
- Normalized for population differences, California, New York and Texas have the highest propensity to share sports related content.
- The most shared political content was from the Whitehouse.gov website, “Remarks by President Obama and Ukraine Prime Minister Yatsenyuk After Bilateral Meeting.”
- The top three methods for sharing political content were, in rank order, Facebook with 27 percent, Twitter with 21 percent, and Facebook Likes with 15 percent.
- The peak-sharing minute of the day was 7:26 p.m.
- The peak-sharing hour of the day was 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- California, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C., were, in rank order, the areas of the U.S. most engaged with political content.
As the world’s largest online content engagement platform, AddThis provides advertisers and publishers with insight into trending content and consumer engagement behavior covering more than 97 percent of the online population in the United States.
The full report from AddThis looks at additional categories including food and travel as well as worldwide sharing and engagement by operating systems and browsers. The report can be downloaded here: AddThis Quarterly Report, Q1 2014.
AddThis helps brands build more authentic customer relationships through insight, activation and personalization products powered by the AddThis Audience Intelligence (Ai) platform. AddThis Ai processes the real-time interest and intent data from 1.9B monthly uniques across 15M global domains. AddThis’ extraordinary reach, combined with world-class data science and seamless integration across the marketing ecosystem, gives marketers and advertisers unprecedented transparency into target audiences and enhances their ability deliver effective personalized experiences across paid and owned media. Learn more at addthis.com
Jobs @ AddThis
Sound like your kind of place? Think you can make an impact? Join the team!