Vienna, Va. - Aug. 11, 2014 — AddThis today announced the results of its quarterly content engagement and social sharing analysis of online behavior trends across the open Web. The “AddThis Q2 2014 Quarterly Report: How Scrolling Matters,” provides publishers, advertisers and media planners with key insights related to scrolling that can help inform content and media planning strategies.
The sample size for the analysis included 50,000 unique, anonymous web browsers including Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox that scrolled page content among randomly selected websites. The websites featured a wide range of content including entertainment, fashion, finance, and business. All data used in the analysis was non-personally identifiable.
The report found that the level of scrolling and content engagement seen during the period from April 1-June 30, 2014 was dependent upon different devices, social networks, content categories and search engines.
The insights gained from scrolling behavior can help advertisers, publishers and media planners optimize their content and media strategies for promoting medium, long-form and multi-page content to site visitors.
The following are highlights from the report.
- Mac users are 17 percent more likely to scroll and explore content on the page compared to people using a PC.
- Scrolling behavior is 55 percent more likely to occur on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 20 percent more likely to occur during business hours.
- Browsers located in $100K+ average income zip codes are eight percent more likely to scroll content compared to other parts of the country.
- The largest concentration of scrollers is located in the Northeast, which represented six out of the seven most active states for scrolling activity.
- Scrollers are 46 percent more likely to share content via Facebook yet are 33% less likely to share content via Twitter.
- 65% of browsers will bounce after one page visit when the referring URL is from a social network.
- Ads delivered on pages that are optimized with content engagement tools have an 85% higher viewability rate.
- Delivering media to sites that have higher engagement rates lead to 30% increase in brand awareness.
Additional insights related to scrolling and viewing multi-page content include content category, search referral traffic and trends related to browsers that follow content. The full AddThis Q2 Quarterly Trends Report is available for PDF download.
AddThis helps brands build more authentic customer relationships through insight, activation and personalization products powered by the AddThis Audience Intelligence (Ai) platform. AddThis Ai processes the real-time interest and intent data from 1.9B monthly uniques across 15M global domains. AddThis’ extraordinary reach, combined with world-class data science and seamless integration across the marketing ecosystem, gives marketers and advertisers unprecedented transparency into target audiences and enhances their ability deliver effective personalized experiences across paid and owned media. Learn more at addthis.com
Jobs @ AddThis
Sound like your kind of place? Think you can make an impact? Join the team!